Five Common Moving Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
August 15th, 2017
Whether you’re going across town or to another state, moving is a big undertaking. There are lots of things that need to be done including finding a new place to live, packing up all your stuff, and getting it to your new home. Moving doesn’t have to be as painstaking as many make it out to be. By being smart and avoiding some common moving mistakes, you can turn your move into a pleasant experience.
5. Trying to Do-it-YourselfMost people who handle the move themselves figure that they’ll save money or that moving can’t possibly be that difficult. In both cases they are usually wrong with these assumptions. There are hidden costs to moving including renting a truck (which usually includes mileage charges) and paying for other equipment to make the move easier.
4. Forgetting to MeasureSome people like to just get everything into their new home and then decide how to arrange each room’s furniture. That sometimes results in major headaches, including not being able to get large pieces of furniture through the front door. Measure each room and have a general idea of where you want everything to go ahead of time, which can save your movers time, which is money to you.
3. Not Labeling BoxesIf you forget to label a box it’ll more than likely end up in the wrong room and you may even panic and think some of your stuff went missing. All boxes should be labeled with their contents as well as which room you want the movers to take them to.
2. Bringing Everything You OwnEven if you aren’t a pack rat, chances are you simply have too much stuff. Try going through your belongings and setting aside what you don’t need or have a use for. These items can be packed and put into storage. This will make your move easier and cheaper as well.1
1. Waiting Until the Last MinuteProcrastinating is one of the worst things you can do when it comes to moving. Trying to pack up your whole house in one day is certainly no easy task. Get started early because there are many things you’ll need to do along the way. Try giving yourself eight to ten weeks, starting with choosing your moving company and packing up seasonal or rarely used items. Don’t forget to leave out your overnight essentials and take them with you when you move.If you need moving supplies in the Jackson, Mississippi area, visit StorageMax for boxes, bubble wrap, protective covers, and more.