How to Safely Store Your Belongings to Protect Against Damage
August 15th, 2017
Whether your possessions are financially valuable or have sentimental value, you certainly want them to be protected from damage. Storing your items in your basement is typically not the best option, as they are susceptible to being damaged from flooding and a number of other factors. An outside storage shed is also vulnerable to the weather and elements.A personal storage facility is the best way to protect your belongings from the elements and other types of damage, whether you are storing them long or short-term.
- Security – Knowing your valuables are locked up is important, but thieves can get by even the strongest locks. That’s why it’s important to find a self-storage facility that utilizes 24/7 surveillance and security features.
- Water Damage – Flooding and hurricanes are the most common ways water can damage your belongings. It only takes a little bit of water to cause major problems. Moisture can also cause issues with common items including wooden furniture and clothing. One of the best things you can do is to cover your belongings in plastic inside your storage unit.
- Fire Damage – Many storage units contain wooden furniture, cardboard boxes, and clothing which are all flammable. For that reason, it’s important that your storage area has easy access to fire extinguishers and the area is monitored in case of emergency.
- Temperature and Ventilation – The weather can ruin many items which is why a climate controlled storage unit is important. Avoid packing your items too tightly in storage which can eliminate air pockets necessary for circulation. If you find your storage unit is too crowded, try getting the next size up for only a few more dollars a month.
- Insurance – Even with all the necessary precautions, there are still possible scenarios in which your items may be damaged. Purchase insurance in case anything goes wrong which will allow your belongings to be replaced. Keep your important documents in sealable waterproof bags or in airtight and watertight containers.
Storage Max has multiple storage unit sizes so you can choose what works best for you. We also offer protective covers including mattress bags, furniture covers, and plastic sheeting. You can even reserve your storage unit online. Contact us today for more information.